View Single Post
Old May 9th 17, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default All's not fair in love and science

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 6:37:52 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/8/2017 9:35 AM, wrote:

The electronics business has always been cyclic. So between jobs I would take anything that came along from selling motorcycles to helping to ocean race sailboats to getting a job with a friend installing commercial telephone systems in San Francisco high rises.

I had just finished an interconnect board in the basement telephone room. These things were pretty large one a large tall business center. The telephone people did terrible work. Many of them were beginners without sufficient training. So after I finished the panel I was walking out and my toolbelt caught on a loose wire on another interconnect board and pulled a wire loose.

So I was disgusted with that installation and was straightening some of it up so at least it wasn't a hazard when the door opened and a telephone company instructor walked in with a whole group of trainees. As he passed me he sort of sniffed and said to his group, "That's the kind of work these commercial installers do". Then he took them all over to my installation and holding his hand up to it proclaimed, "Now THIS is the sort of work the telephone company does." Holding back a laugh I crept quietly out. I told my partner upstairs and we both had a good laugh.

I'm astounded you didn't say "Excuse me, but you're looking at my
work... " etc. I would have.

Since I was department manager and project leader and the sort, I've always accepted other people's managing techniques as their own. I don't for a second think that guy could have thought for one second that was done by a telephone company employee. All you had to do was look around the rest of the Interconnect room.

It most certainly wasn't for me to cast any shadows on his training seminar..
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home