Old October 20th 17, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Multi tool

On 10/19/2017 8:23 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/19/2017 7:16 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 11:51:59 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Has Lieb a mini vise grip ?

No.Â* I have many vices, few of which are considered "mini".
I vaguely recall that my right hand grip is about 85lbs (66kg) when I
measured it about 2 years ago in rehab.Â* That's at the low end of the
scale, so I guess it could be called mini.Â* I forgot what I measured
for the left hand, but it was less.
http://www.topendsports.com/testing/norms/handgrip.htm

1. Stop using whatever drugs Tom gave you.
2. In most instances, 85lb is not 66kilos
3. 66kg is off the charts strong, according to your chart.

For a long time, I occasionally tested my two-handed grip strength using
a bathroom scale. I was able to squeeze the value of my weight.

And one year, our university's exercise science faculty gave free
physical fitness tests for faculty. Rather than take the time to have us
lift weights, etc. they simply measured grip strength, which they said
tends to closely correlate with overall strength. Mine was very good,
they said. However, I was in the habit of carrying a heavy briefcase
home to grade papers or prepare lectures, so I suspected I might have
been an outlier.

Many years after that, I decided to have fun in one of my classes; I
gave them some bicycle related problems. One was to analyze the bending
strength of a middle quality bike brake lever, and compare it to the
average grip strength of the students in the class, which we measured
using the exercise science department's meter.

The lever was surprisingly weak, and we proved it by letting the
football player in the class squeeze it and bend it. I was pointing out
that it didn't need to withstand maximum grip strength, because the bike
would skid the rear wheel or topple over the front wheel long before
that point.

But I confess, by that time my elderly grip strength measured below any
male in the class.

--
- Frank Krygowski