Old April 4th 19, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

Default The British cities where it is now faster to CYCLE than drive

On 04/04/2019 15:40, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
wrote:
On Thursday, April 4, 2019 at 1:07:20 AM UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
On Wednesday, April 3, 2019 at 10:30:57 PM UTC+1,
wrote:
On Wednesday, April 3, 2019 at 10:16:16 PM UTC+1, Kerr-Mudd,John
wrote:

It might have become "normal" for some people to commute daft
distances; that's another part of the problem.

When I worked at BP I had the longest commute in our lab at 12
miles and was the only one who cycled in. One evening, I got a lift
home and it took me 15 minutes longer than my bike ride home and I
was told by my driver that this was "normal".

My bike ride took 25-35 minutes depending on the wind (never
traffic) and by car, it could be over an hour in the evening.

Some people think transport is spelled C-A-R.
At the Uni we have a sports centre and some of my colleagues and
myself use the facilities.
The difference is I walk the 5 mins to the gym whilst my colleagues
spend 10 mins driving + finding a parking space and then walking to
the gym. Some people are either mentally lazy or they think
'successful' people use cars, or chisels, or little dogs.

Of course, I never needed a gym as I got over an hour of high
intensity aerobic exercise every day. Some weeks I would ride around
over 200 miles as I was a cycling club rider as well.

Now I am retired, those years have meant that my body at age 60 is
still in a decent state.

Leg?

Brain?