Old December 8th 19, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default River!

On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 9:01:50 PM UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 08 Dec 2019 20:36:01 -0000, Simon Mason wrote:

On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 7:03:49 PM UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Whoops. I accidentally drove through a 3 foot deep river which had flooded across the road. It didn't look that deep! It only came halfway up the ducks! I managed to make a bowwave and followed it, then flagged down a van going the other way and said, "I wouldn't if I were you".

Cars are so wimpy, I could have cycled through that easily.

You should have walked through it first.

Since a nearby road always has "road closed" when it's deep, on a permanent fold down sign, I assumed others would too. Somebody told me they do usually put up a temporary sign, I guess his time they forgot.

There's something wrong with car design when a person could wade through deeper water than a car. In fact pretty much everything made by humans can't handle water.

I came upon a ford on the North Yorkshire Moors, got out of the car and with a long stick, tested the water. Since it was only six inches deep, it was safe to drive across.