Old December 8th 19, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey
external usenet poster

Default River!

On Sun, 08 Dec 2019 21:48:16 -0000, Simon Mason wrote:

On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 9:01:50 PM UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 08 Dec 2019 20:36:01 -0000, Simon Mason wrote:

On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 7:03:49 PM UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Whoops. I accidentally drove through a 3 foot deep river which had flooded across the road. It didn't look that deep! It only came halfway up the ducks! I managed to make a bowwave and followed it, then flagged down a van going the other way and said, "I wouldn't if I were you".

Cars are so wimpy, I could have cycled through that easily.

You should have walked through it first.

Since a nearby road always has "road closed" when it's deep, on a permanent fold down sign, I assumed others would too. Somebody told me they do usually put up a temporary sign, I guess his time they forgot.

There's something wrong with car design when a person could wade through deeper water than a car. In fact pretty much everything made by humans can't handle water.

I came upon a ford on the North Yorkshire Moors, got out of the car and with a long stick, tested the water. Since it was only six inches deep, it was safe to drive across.

I incorrectly assumed it couldn't be that deep because:
1) I thought the road was quite flat there.
2) There was no warning sign like the neighbouring floodable road.
3) I'd just passed someone coming the other way. Perhaps they'd turned back! They could have told me!

If I was in charge of the roads there, I'd put some kind of depth guage at the deepest part. And no, not, "This road is impassable if this sign is underwater"!
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home