Old June 10th 04, 08:48 PM
Daniel Barlow

Default I Give Up (motorists attitude)

JohnB writes:

I cannot agree more. You can talk and argue until you are blue in the
face but still people will drive just a few hundred yards. They*know*
you are right but they cannot make the change. There are always excuses.

This sounds like almost as horrible a generalisation as "cyclists are
all lawless lycra louts who hold up traffic and strike terror into the
hearts of innocent pedestrians"

I can quite believe there are some people like that: I've worked with
a few people myself who I don't expect to see on a bike ever in my
life (perhaps barring major life-shaking event of the "good morning Mr
Smith, the operation seems to have been successful; now make sure you
take regular exercise or you won't last to the end of the year").
Doesn't mean _everyone_ is like that, though. The oft-quoted
statistic is that cycle use increased 30% in London since the
congestion charge was introduced, so clearly at least a year ago there
were non-cyclists who weren't completely car-blinded. I doubt the
supply is exhausted even now.

IMO there will be a crunch time - it will be when there is no more
space and those of us who have not fallen into the car-culture will
have the advantage. only problem is taht we may have to take to the
pavements :-(

Yay pedal-powered post-apocalypse scenarios. I should pop into my LBS
this weekend sometime and see if they've got any rotating knives I can
clip to my spokes.

-dan

--
"please make sure that the person is your friend before you confirm"