Old September 1st 16, 09:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default Silca pump gauge repair how-to

On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 00:08:31 -0500, Tim McNamara
wrote:

My 20+ year old Silca Super Pista pump has, for the first time,
malfunctioned and needs repair. A few weeks ago I found a little
machine screw on the floor; not knowin gwhat it was, I put it on my
workbench. Today I discovered my Silca pump gauge wasn't reading
correctly. The needle will not return to zero. Indeed, tapping the
pump on the floor lightly caused the needle to bounce upwards rather
than down and it is now resting against the pin but on the wrong side.
I discovered that the screw I found is one of the two on the back of the
gauge. I can't find repair instructions online readily, so I figured
that someone where would know what to do. The pump seems to work fine
otherwise. Silca sells replacement gauges for $22, if it comes to that,
although I suspect it's a standard gauge that can be obtained elsewhere.

My experience with repairing gauges has not been wholly satisfactory
mainly because conventional Bourdon Tube gauges usually have
adjustment devices and without a gauge testing service one never knows
whether the repaired gauge is even close to accurate.

If your pump looks like
https://silca.cc/products/silca-supe...iant=902502277
then physically fitting a new gauge shouldn't be a problem.

Common 0 - 200 psi air gauges are cheap as dirt, perhaps $5.00. But, a
gauge with a certified accuracy, maybe 2.5%, may be a bit costly, say
$22.59 :-)

See:
http://tinyurl.com/h3sh6nd
for more information.