Old October 6th 04, 07:24 AM
Mark Mitchell

On 2004-10-06, Blair P Houghton wrote:
Mark Mitchell wrote:
On 2004-10-05, BringYouToLife wrote:
Do you happen to know what the diameter of the chain wheel was on
the bike that went 150mph?

Here is all the info I could find on it;
http://www.canosoarus.com/08LSRbicycle/LSR Bike01.htm

Hm.

I've never seen the car or the bike shown in that picture.

Honestly, I think I was actually remembering the 1973 record.

The bike was more conventional, may have had a compound gear
or may not, and was following a 50's era Chevy.

That's the only speed record I know anything about. I first ran across it
way back when I had a subscription to Bicycling magazine, and they had an
article on it when it happened. Made an impression on me.

Other minor trivia that I recall from that article way back then,
apparently on one of the early attempts John Howard got up to some high
speed (100+) and had a flat tire.

They pull the tire off, can't find any kind of a leak. Turns out that the
centrifucal(sp?) force was high enough to depress the valve on the
Schraeder valve. Fixed it with a valve cap from a car on the site.

Now you know everything I know about bicycle speed records.

Mark

--
Remove both wrongs to make the email address right.