Old November 15th 08, 04:50 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default I am convinced bicycling is not safe

On Nov 14, 10:00*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Dane Buson writes:

In rec.bicycles.misc Tom Keats wrote:
In article KingOfTheApes writes:

But since
you say biking is so dangerous, and neither the Republican Party nor
the Democratic Party is the solution, who's the solution?

Solution to /what/ -- your disinformation about the supposed
"dangerousness" of cycling? *The solution to that is
pretty obvious, but you're still here.

I will admit that sometimes truly I long for the day where you can
deliver a punch to the face over TCP/IP. *It would purely make for a
much politer interblag.

I allow I may be encouraging Sgt Simian, by responding
to, and rebutting his inanities.

But I'm certain that ignoring him would actually
encourage him all the more, as that would let
his destructive fearmongering go unchallenged.
To further explain my point:

most regular perusers of these various x-posted
newsgroups recognize his hogwash for what it is.

But my concern is about incipient new ridership who
may be affected to any degree. *The very subject
line of this thread was obviously designed to
dissuade people who may be considering bicycling.
Then he throws in unsubstantiated, unqualified,
unquantified, ostensibly hearsay statements like:
"Accident statistics on bicycling are horrific per
mile traveled."

Great way to promote bicycling, eh?

Impugning people with certain /federal/
political leanings, for some alleged sorry
state of affairs is just a feint to divert
attention, so his planted seeds of Fear,
Uncertainty & Doubt (about the safety of
bicycling) might quietly and subtly sprout in
the minds of folks thinking about taking up
the bicycling avocation.
The ol' hit-'n-run propaganda technique.

His seeds are weeds in a garden. *We can't
ignore weeds in a garden. *Not for very long,
anyway.

There's no garden. There's simply a jungle on American roads, and
possibly in Canada. NO LANE DISCIPLINE, NO LAWS AGAINST CELL PHONES,
NO RESPECT FOR CYCLISTS.

Ride at your own risk, and hope that if you are hit, it doesn't become
another HIT AND RUN, something very common around here.

And to anybody in the world who is considering
[re]joining the ranks of bicyclists: there are
plenty of resources available on-line, in hard
copy, at your local cycling clubs and among your
cycling compatriots & peers, from which to learn
to ride safely and enjoyably. *If you see people
already riding safely and enjoyably in your own
parts of the world, that should be proof enough
that BananaCreamBoy is working against you.

cheers,
* * * * Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.

Yeah, you sure sound like a very unsafe person.