Old December 12th 14, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B. Slocomb

Default AG: Hand Signals`

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 09:21:20 -0500, dgk wrote:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 15:15:23 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 14:33:50 -0500, dgk wrote:

On Tue, 09 Dec 2014 07:19:34 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 09:48:15 -0500, dgk wrote:

On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 16:08:42 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

I use hand signals only when I'm turning, just as the operator of a motor
vehicle does (or should).

SMH

Don't they have "turn lights" in America :-?

Apparently only the most expensive cars have turn signals, and those
people are too important to use them.

Truly? In the small 3rd world country I reside in use of "turn lights"
is nearly universal even when only changing lanes on the highway.

Sorry, I was referring to the US, New York City in particular. I'd say
40% of drivers signal their turn early enough for me to find it
useful. I don't trust their signals, but I do factor them into how I
react to them.

I'm surprised, really. I remember way back when I was in High School
they started a "Driver's Training" course. The school even had a car
with dual controls. I had assumed that by now USians all had formal
driver's training and were aware of all the do's and don't

They may have been trained to use them but they don't find it
necessary in real life. Probably because they never get ticketed for
that.

You need to implement the "free enterprise" system that we have here.

You do something wrong; the cop stops you; you pay him the fine and go
your way; or you do something wrong; you surrender your drivers
license and must report to the Police Officer's home office in 3 days
time to pay the fine and have your license returned.

Of course, if you pay on the spot the fine goes into the "Police
Benevolence" fund and is used to improve the life of the police
officers, which provides a certain amount of enthusiasm, in the Police
ranks, for law enforcement.
--
Cheers,

John B.