Old May 25th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Big Mig - honest, dishonest?

On May 25, 9:35 am, "Callistus Valerius"
wrote:
My favorite tdf winner is the Big Mig. The fact that he was big (170
lbs), that he used clinchers, he was an averaged sized guy, using regular
stuff, not superlight crap, always made him my favorite. Dope free also,
makes him one of the few legitimate winners. Also, his exit was dignified,
and he always seemed less arrogant than the other riders who have come on
gone since. I don't think there are any Indurain haters even out there.
Wouldn't it be nice, if those kind of riders were again invited back into
the peloton.

I always liked the fact that he was closer to ~195 lbs. before his
great transformation into a TdF champ and that he could still climb
very well at that weight. Gave some (false) hope to us fat boys that
climb like bags of cement. Plus, I always admired the fact that he
did his time as a super-domestique in service of Delgado before
becoming a champion.

I too will always think of him as being a dignified patron of the
peleton and-- rightyl or wrongly-- as a clean rider. Perhaps this is
naive but it is how I want to remember him.