Old May 26th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Commentary: Cleared or not, Landis is a loser

On May 25, 12:55 pm, "Sandy" wrote:

Your forest is really a speck. Last year, according to (my memory and) the
anti-doping prosecutor in Italy, 600 million euros of fake prescription
drugs were sold, for purposes such as cycling doping. So, get the pharma
companies, the distributors, drug stores (yes, the licensed ones), your
neighbor (who could be a dirty drug dealer), etc.

Holy crap. 600 million euros of _fake_ drugs? How many
of real drugs? At that rate, cracking down on doping could
ruin the economy! WADA and the narco police must be
stopped! Well, okay, the GDP of Italy is about a trillion
euros, so fake drugs are only 1/1600 of the _total_ economy,
but it still seems high. I hope at least some of those
are being sold to gym rats, bodybuilders, and footy
players, because if they're all going to guys doping for
granfondos, we are truly into excessive Masters Fatties
spending territory.

Another way of looking at it is that Fuentes faxed Haven
and Tyler an invoice for about $54,000. The 600 million
figure suggests about 10,000 Tylers (10,000 people spending
as much as Tyler, that is. To Tyler's credit, if
Fuentes was on the up-and-up, Tyler was getting the real
deal, not 600 million Euros of fake stuff.) That's
rather a lot larger than the Euro peleton. I'll guess it's
still larger than the number of granfondo riders that
are on a serious program.

Ben
Follow the money.