Old August 8th 09, 05:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

Default Just what does a 60% chance of rain mean?

In article ,
dgk writes:
Does it mean that somewhere within 100 miles of me there is a 60%
chance of rain falling, or does it mean that there is a 60% chance
that I'm going to get rained on (assumimg that I'm outside)?

It means: if you head out wearing the worst possible
clothing for rain, it's gonna rain. But if you
prepare for rain, it won't.

A 50 % chance means: you stick your head out the door to
check the weather, see that it's raining, and prepare for it.
When you step out, it stops raining. So you go back inside,
prepare for dry weather, step out again, and it's raining again.
Rinse & repeat.

I'm not a big fan of biking in the rain, although being around 90F
today I sort of am looking forward to it.

Sometimes folx washing their cars at the curbside are
happily willing to give a rider a refreshing, zesty spritz
from their garden hose, when politely requested to do so.

If there's no lawn-sprinkling ban going on, it can be pleasant
to ride through any sprinkler overspray. Maybe circle back
and do it again. And again.

cheers,
Tom

--