Old May 27th 20, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Bonking + Bicycles

On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 4:13:00 PM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:
wrote:
I always laugh and chuckle when people yip and yap about bonking and
running out of sugar. Ha Ha. Just people making up nonsense. Unless
you are a Type 1 diabetic, or maybe maybe Type 2 also, you cannot get a
low blood sugar. The human body does not allow blood sugars to fall very
low. The Islets of Langerhans inside the pancreas produce the hormone
insulin. This is injected into the blood stream and works with the
glucose in the blood to keep the blood sugar at a fairly constant level..
No matter how much you exercise and no matter how much or little you eat,
the non-diabetic body is excellent at regulating the blood sugar to keep
blood sugar at a very constant normal level. Your blood sugar does not
go up and down in a non-diabetic. Blood sugar going up and down is
similar to a person saying they stopped their heart from beating for a
minute or two. Do you believe people can manually control whether their
heart beats? If you do then you likely will also believe your blood
sugar goes up and down.

On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 6:07:52 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Have any of you been on a ride where you've bonked to the point that
every single pedal stroke no matter how low a gear you're in or how calm
the winds are, feels like it's all you can do to get that crankarm past
the 12 0'clock position?

If so, how long did it take you to recover so that you were able to ride
at your normal pace again?

If you ate soon after bonking, how long did it take you to then recover
enough to ride further?

Cheers

My understanding is that there are about 2000 Calories of glycogen store in
muscle tissue. Additionally, we are capable of metabolizing fat (of which
most of us have essentially infinite stores)and converting it to glycogen,
but the rate of conversion may not keep up to vigorous exercise. So if your
exertion is short or low level, you should never bonk, but if it’s long and
hard, you may run low on glycogen.

I did a rather moderate ride yesterday of only 22 miles and did not ride particularly hard and burned 1100 Calories. The other day I did a 32 mile ride over 1800 feet of hard climbing and that is as close to bonking I've come recently. My return ride was thankfully mostly downhill and I could ride at a fat burning pace. slowwwwwww.