Old August 22nd 03, 10:25 PM
onewheeldave

Default Philosophy and the art of unicycling

Mikefule wrote:
*
Which must be why the unwise are so eager to point out that we've
lost our back wheels, or handlebars, or crossbars, but we smile
serenely, and continue, self contained, content with the remaining
wheel and seat, and balanced in ourselves.

*

Brilliant! I would never have thought of putting it like that.

I still find it annoying to hear those comments cos, even if they're
meant as just jokes, they do imply that there is a lack, almost as if
I'm really wanting to ride a bicycle but can't afford one and am making
do with one wheel.

And I guess the reason I still find it difficult not to inwardly cringe
whenever I hear someone start to say it is that I'm sad that the
instintive reaction of the 'man in the street' is one fueled by notions
of loss/negativity than what I hope they are really feeling, which is
that they've seen someone having a great time doing something that is
good in itself.

Mike- have you ever read 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainance'?

If not I think you'd appreciate it, it's not about zen at all but has a
lot of stuff derived from Western philosophy and Greek philosophy
applied to a life of wheeled roaming.

I did a degree in philosophy many years ago and one of the things I
picked up from 'Zen and the ....' was the way the word 'just' is slipped
into an argument to cleverly put down a point.

The example from the book was in relation to 'quality/morality' being
what we choose, and someone then says- "but then morality is just what
we like".

Ever since I always watch out for the word 'just' in a debate and often
find that by removing it from what has been said you can see that there
is no real content in the statement.

I mention this cos of the couple you mention who asked if your reason
for unicycling was 'just for fun'- as if it being fun is not enough
reason.

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874