Old August 15th 07, 09:03 AM posted to or.politics,pdx.general,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Lobby Dosser

Default Portland's Bridge Pedal Debacle

Don Homuth dhomuthoneatcomcast.net wrote:

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 18:57:05 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

Don Homuth dhomuthoneatcomcast.net wrote:

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 15:48:42 GMT, "steve" wrote:

On 14-Aug-2007, smacked up and reeling, (Paul Berg)
blindly formulated
the following incoherence:

Bottlenecks not only forced cyclists to walk their bikes along
parts of the course, but also meant as many as 1,500 of the
estimated record 19,000 cyclists in the event were unable to
complete the ride. Organizers barred them from crossing the
Fremont Bridge and other spans as authorities sought to reopen
them to vehicle traffic. Other cyclists, frustrated, left the
course on their own.

What is the point of these mass rides, anyway? It cant be good
riding, and it obviously screws up traffic.

Just for the sheer fun of doing it, apparently.

My Datsun club does the same thing when it does a cruise or a tour.

They disrupt regular traffic?

Sometimes they have done exactly that, so I hear. A long column of a
couple dozen Datsuns of various vintages can be pretty noticeable.

But do they deliberately disrupt traffic?