Old August 15th 07, 10:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,rec.autos.driving
Ted Mittelstaedt

Default Portland's Bridge Pedal Debacle

"Paul Berg" wrote in message
~

News article from The (Portland) Oregonian - August 14, 2007

Officially, it's called the Providence Bridge Pedal. But the annual bike
ride over Portland's bridges earned a new name Sunday -- Providence
Bridge Ped-debacle.

This was just a stupid article. My wife did this ride and had no problems.
(I personally am not "in" to riding a bicycle) The problem wasn't the ride,
the problem was too many people on this ride shouldn't have been there.

The dedicated bicyclists all registered early, showed up early, and did
their ride without stopping. Portable toilets? The dedicated riders wern't
stopping to take a dump every 2 miles because they were too fat to do the
ride. They wern't using the toilets except possibly at the end of the ride.

The problem with this ride was all the wannabe whiner riders that didn't
do any training for it and registered late and got late start times. Then
they
poked along the route way too slow.

I would have never thought in my wildest dreams that there would ever
be such a thing as a wanna be bicyclist. But, come to Portland and you
can see tons of them. Sheesh.

There's plenty of other rides that are organized in Portland that are a lot
shorter for the newbie and wannabe bicyclists to participate in. The
bridge pedal isn't as hardcore as the Portland to Seattle run, but it is
definitely not for someone who doesen't ride a bike 5 miles every other
day.

Ted