Old September 6th 08, 08:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Chalo

Default BikeE?

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Chalo wrote:

queried about how they did it, they would say things like "you gotta
get your weight back and go real easy on the handlebars", or some
variation thereof. *Which, oddly enough, is almost exactly the same
advice I have heard from recumbent riders when they offer their wisdom
about keeping the rubber side down.

Ah, so when people tell you that a particular style of bike has
certain requirements due to geometry, you won't ride that way so it's
the bike's fault.

Funny really. *When I've ridden an off road motorcycle I find that if
you ride it as it's supposed to be ridden it works a lot better than
riding it as though it's a roadracer.

Who'd have thought that the lack of an engine completely negates that.
Learn something every day.

So, what then is the correct approach for riding a Kawasaki H1
triple? I assume its reputation for treacherous handling must be the
result of folks riding it in a way it was not intended to be ridden.

How about a Triumph chopper with 24" over forks? Surely there must be
a way to tease the sweet handling qualities out of a bike like that.

I have built and ridden a lot of crazy machines, some of which handled
relatively well and others of which were challenging. I'll reiterate
for your benefit: Many bikes _can_ be ridden that are actually no
good at all for the task, at any speed, with any rider. Techniques
for coping with them are, well, coping. There is such a thing as
plain terrible handling and most, perhaps all, 'bents seem to have
it.

Chalo