Old August 6th 11, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Default Dangerous? Study: 77 to 1 benefit to risk

Dan wrote:
Frank writes:

Many years ago, the eminent British researcher...

snip

Really, how safe does cycling have to be, and by how much do its
benefits have to exceed the tiny risk, before we say "Stop
worrying. It's safe enough"?

Safe enough for what? Safe enough to do? Don't we all do it?

No, not for some definitions of "we."

Or, by "stop worrying", do you mean safe enough to not bother
trying to make it safer.

Safe enough to dispense with the cries that "We need bike tracks and
bike boxes and bike lanes and bike paths because ordinary roads are so
dangerous."

Safe enough to dispense with campaigns saying "Riding a bike without a
helmet can kill you."

Cyclists seem astonishingly willing to accept anti-bike propaganda, and
to claim they would have died if not for their special hat, or special
paint on the road.

--
- Frank Krygowski