Old August 6th 11, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Dan

Default Dangerous? Study: 77 to 1 benefit to risk

Frank Krygowski writes:

Dan wrote:
Frank writes:

Many years ago, the eminent British researcher...

snip

Really, how safe does cycling have to be, and by how much do its
benefits have to exceed the tiny risk, before we say "Stop
worrying. It's safe enough"?

Safe enough for what? Safe enough to do? Don't we all do it?

No, not for some definitions of "we."

Who is your audience for this post?

Or, by "stop worrying", do you mean safe enough to not bother
trying to make it safer.

Safe enough to dispense with the cries that "We need bike tracks and
bike boxes and bike lanes and bike paths because ordinary roads are so
dangerous."

Do I need to list links to this week's stories of bicyclists mown down
like so much roadkill.

Safe enough to dispense with campaigns saying "Riding a bike without a
helmet can kill you."

Who said that? To whom are you addressing this post?

Cyclists seem astonishingly willing to accept anti-bike propaganda,
and to claim they would have died if not for their special hat, or
special paint on the road.

Most of us are just in it to Ride Bike. I offer the benefit of my
knowledge, opinions (such as they are ;-), perception and experience
to those that seem to have an unrealistic perception, but I'm mostly
just in it to Ride Bike. You go ahead on and make the world a better
place - and go ahead and share information with us FWIW (and thanks
for both); but give *us* some credit and spare us the lectures.