Old June 18th 17, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Rock n Roll

On 2017-06-17 11:34, wrote:
Frank, On my Eddy Merckx I was using an old chain so I would lube it
with Rock n Roll and let it dry over-night.

The chain would stay relatively clean though it did deposit a layer
of something on the rear derailleur pulleys that was a real pain in
the butt to get off.

When you're using your wax technique do you find any build-up on the
cogs, rings and pulleys?

Which of their three lubes did you use?

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews...gold-lubricant

Is it better than White Lightning? The process seems quite wasteful,
dripping on a lot and then wiping away the run-off.

I've had the pulley gunk with any lube so far, whether chainsaw oil,
motor oil or some fancy bike product. I take a knife, hold the blade
against the pulley, turn the crank backwards ... splat ... a clump falls
onto the work bench. When cleaning the MTB chain before a re-lube I
collect a total of about one shotglass full of gunk from the pulleys,
cogs and chain. Dirt, clay, sap, caked animal poop, "star thistle
mousse", and so on.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Rock n Roll Gold. Like I say, I spot each link and let it dry over night and the chain has yet to squeak. And that chain which I just replaced was pretty old. My friend used it at least for a year, and he was putting in 6,000 mile years. But he squirts lube on it before every ride I believe. And he cleans the chain religiously very often. You can always touch his chain and only get a little clean lubricant on your fingers.