Old June 18th 17, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Rock n Roll

On 2017-06-17 11:34,
wrote:
Frank, On my Eddy Merckx I was using an old chain so I would lube
it with Rock n Roll and let it dry over-night.

The chain would stay relatively clean though it did deposit a
layer of something on the rear derailleur pulleys that was a real
pain in the butt to get off.

When you're using your wax technique do you find any build-up on
the cogs, rings and pulleys?

Which of their three lubes did you use?

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews...gold-lubricant

Is it better than White Lightning? The process seems quite wasteful,
dripping on a lot and then wiping away the run-off.

I've had the pulley gunk with any lube so far, whether chainsaw
oil, motor oil or some fancy bike product. I take a knife, hold the
blade against the pulley, turn the crank backwards ... splat ... a
clump falls onto the work bench. When cleaning the MTB chain before
a re-lube I collect a total of about one shotglass full of gunk
from the pulleys, cogs and chain. Dirt, clay, sap, caked animal
poop, "star thistle mousse", and so on.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Rock n Roll Gold. Like I say, I spot each link and let it dry over
night and the chain has yet to squeak. And that chain which I just
replaced was pretty old. My friend used it at least for a year, and
he was putting in 6,000 mile years. But he squirts lube on it before
every ride I believe. And he cleans the chain religiously very often.
You can always touch his chain and only get a little clean lubricant
on your fingers.

I am probably more like your friend, babying chains a lot. I apply lube
to each link using a Q-Tip. White Lightning Epic Ride gets shaken for a
good mix, then I squirt the roughly needed quantity into an old
shotglass and dab it on. After a thorough cleaning, of course.

Maybe I should try that Gold stuff. It seems to contain wax just like
Epic Ride. Possibly performance would be the same but one would only
know after trying. Entered into my wiki file but I still have a large
bottle of White Lightning to use up.