Old July 8th 17, 12:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default Who is to blame

On 07/07/17 22:18, wrote:
On Friday, July 7, 2017 at 9:52:16 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 07/07/17 09:49, doug wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/yc2x8slo

Opinions are divided on this.

Was the cyclist in the wrong lane?

Did he put himself in the blind spot?

As ever, we don't have enough information. How do we know it was a
left turn only lane, apart from the driver's say so? Did the lorry
reach the line first and the bicycle go up the inside or did the
bicycle reach the line first? So we have no idea whether the rider
went up the inside.

Watch the youtube vide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzv11EyiMvw It
was a left turn only lane.

OK

Once in that position the rider doesn't hang back where the driver
could make a left turn (apart from lack of indicator we have no
idea it couldn't happen). The rider on the left, in white, was the
one in that danger zone.

What the cyclists as a group did is probably acceptable for London
apart from cycling beside a moving HGV.

But we still don't see the order of arrival.

Although I suggest the left turn lane is a bit of a red herring. All it
it means is that a driver will be aiming at the left hand lane on the
other side of the junction. I think the technique would be to start
ahead of the lorry across the first half of the junction but set a
course along the left edge of the yellow box then make a judgement when
halfway across.

There are a couple of junctions I use, not laned like that but narrowing
down, where running a wide course and doing a life saver part way just
seems instinctive to me. Even though it usually happens that the car
behind cannot overtake me because the car in front is delaying proceedings.