Old December 7th 17, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On 12/7/2017 9:38 AM, jbeattie wrote:

I think everyone would agree that having a light you don't have to charge is very convenient. How much light a person needs, however, is subjective. My night vision sucks. There are times when I want more than 500 lumens, which is about the maximum output of my Luxos B.

I think it's a mistake to state one's requirement in terms of lumens, at
least with the lighting systems that dominate in America. You may _want_
500 lumens, but that's not likely what's really needed.

No light is enough it in a rain storm.

As I've mentioned before, when the roads are coated with rain, even a
car's headlight beams are not apparent to the driver, because the light
bounces down the road instead of reflecting back from the road surface
to the driver's eyes. That would be true if you used an aircraft landing
light. That doesn't mean that objects in the road or at the road's edge
won't be illuminated.

Bikes do have a problem cars don't have: We're more vulnerable to
potholes filled with water. But again, a brighter light is unlikely to
make a practical difference. Riding where the road is smooth is the
better defense.

... uber-bright lights are not just annoying, they're dangerous.

Agreed. They're an excellent example of "MFFY" coupled with unthinking
paranoia.

In heavy bike traffic, I think the best front light is a dyno light with cut-off (because it is distinctive and non-blinding) or a light like the L&M that pulses but does not flash, and if more light is needed (pulse mode is about 300 lumen on my battery light), then perhaps something like the Oculus with cut-off.

Sorry to report this, but the cutoff of the Oculus is not what it should
be. It definitely blinds others. (I have one I'll sell you.)

Finally, I think that in really dark environments with moonlight or star light (like the PBP French countryside), you can get away with a pretty dim light because your eyes can accommodate. The problem for me is dark pavement and bright on-coming headlights (hills with car lights angled up) or point source lights that don't illuminate the pavement (house or business lights).

Those can be problems, although they're usually temporary. I have
similar problems driving country roads, where cars cresting a hill shine
even their low beams right in my eyes. On the bike, I use a cap with a
brim to shade my eyes from a lot of that stuff.

--
- Frank Krygowski