Old May 10th 19, 10:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Ineffective Cycling

On Fri, 10 May 2019 09:32:41 +0200, Sepp Ruf
wrote:

John B. wrote:
On Thu, 9 May 2019 21:48:18 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/9/2019 7:01 PM, John B. wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

snipped
I don't pretend to be an expert. I have only commented that I've been
riding a bike for about 20 years without an accident, or even an
incident, and much of that time has been in a city with such chaotic
traffic that most foreigners are literally afraid to drive here and in
a country that usually leads the pack, or comes in second, as the
country with the most traffic deaths in the world.

See:
http://driving-in-thailand.com/thai-...-in-the-world/
But we did better
https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/tha...t-world-atlas/

There are also bike riders around here who creep along on the sidewalk,
stopping frequently. If they take to the street at all, they stop each
time a car comes by. I suppose that's fine too, if they are willing to
put up with snail's pace transportation. Maybe you're like them, I don't
know. But again, such a person may never have been in a crash. But they
shouldn't pretend they know all there is to know.

If you want to do more - explore cities by bike, or bike for real
transportation, or travel on multi-day trips by bike, etc. - then more
knowledge is valuable. And as with mathematics beyond first grade,
nobody gets it by being a hubristic genius.

In the second site I mention, above, the lead photo is entitled
"Bangkok Traffic". Does your book tell me something I haven't already
learned (after 20 years) about how to ride in "Bangkok Traffic"?

Earlier, you talked about riding the six-foot shoulders or not riding at
all. I don't see six foot shoulders in that photo.

Look again, you must have missed it
https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/tha...t-world-atlas/
Look at the overpass, there is a shoulder, roughly half the width of
an automobile,

The standard Thai automobile is 12 ft wide, then. Whatever they made you
inhale during the recent Royal Thai festivities, John, it didn't do you any
good.

and certainly wide enough for motorcycle to ride in on
both sides, with no problems.

For our senior citizens, the full-size pic:
https://coconuts.co/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/13730708213_902f8a90d3_h-1.jpg
Isn't that a big fat overhead sign showing bicycles are not allowed on the
overpass?

There is a constant stream of two-wheelers on that wide outer lane,
shoulder, whatever, on the extreme left. Of course you'd cycle there if
"traffic" is slower in the rest of the traffic jam ... and you aren't
thrill-seeking enough to race and weave in between lines of cars.

Maybe you can tell me more about the conditions where you actually do ride.

Apparently, he cannot. John prefers to divert by posting some semiliterate
youtube "statistician."

Goodness! You mean it wasn't true? And you know this how? Because
"everyone knows" or maybe "there have been numerous studies" or some
other wild eyed pronouncement with no evidence whatsoever provided?

We had one guy here that used those sort of pronouncements to prove
his statements and, apparently, now we have two.
--
cheers,

John B.