Old August 4th 08, 02:01 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

Default Bicycle evolution and recumbents...

wrote in message
Hello,

I wonder why today's common bicycle is upright rather than recumbent.
To me, the position one sits on a recumbent would be the primary
position one would use in designing this thing called the "bicycle".

A recumbent bicycle is the most comfortable position, but not the most
efficient. An upright is more efficient, especially at climbing hills.

But, obviously, the bicycle has taken alot [a lot] of side roads in
evolving
into what it is today.

Nope, not really. It was all set in concrete almost from the beginning.
Today's uprights look just like the original safety bicycle.

Do any newsgroup readers know about the birth of the recumbent bike?

Do a Google search on the Web and you can find out more than you will ever
want to know about recumbents, including their birth.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka