Old August 4th 08, 10:54 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon Bendtsen

Default Bicycle evolution and recumbents...

Peter Clinch wrote:
Jon Bendtsen wrote:
Edward Dolan wrote:
wrote in message
Hello,

I wonder why today's common bicycle is upright rather than recumbent.
To me, the position one sits on a recumbent would be the primary
position one would use in designing this thing called the "bicycle".
A recumbent bicycle is the most comfortable position, but not the most
efficient. An upright is more efficient, especially at climbing hills.

Thats just your opinion. Sure it might be the common opinion,
but we havent seen all recumbent designs yet, or all riding
technics. Cruzbike has some ideas that also use the arms to
help drive leg power into the wheels.

The arm and leg power together has often been tried but it's really a
dead end. Fact is the human body can use its entire quota or aerobic
power in the legs alone, so aside from unsustainable sprints adding arms
in is a red herring that just makes the bike more difficult to design,
build and ride.

It only needs to work for a short while uphill, since most
commuting bicyclists avoid big hills. And for people that
is exercising, they probably deliberately go after hills.
I do.

JonB