Old April 11th 14, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default London's first segregated cycle junction to be installed in Camden

On 4/11/2014 12:34 PM, Dan O wrote:

The main factor, if you ask me, is people's attitudes.

I agree.

ISTM
that facilities are concrete evidence that bicycles are endorsed
by the transportation authority...

Well, the facilities are concrete evidence that bicycles are endorsed
_in_ the facility. Unfortunately, that often seems to bring along the
idea that bicycles are _not_ endorsed where there are no facilities.

"I can't ride in my own residential neighborhood, because there are no
bike lanes."

"GET IN THE BIKE LANE!"

"GET ON THE BIKE PATH!"

"Paint is not good enough. We need protected bike lanes everywhere!"

"The roads are for cars!"

Et cetera.

--
- Frank Krygowski