Old March 22nd 04, 01:30 AM
Neil Cherry

Default Age doesn't stop 70-somethings who are cycling devotees

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 22:53:24 GMT, Peter Cole wrote:
"Neil Cherry" wrote

There was couple who was in their 80's that used to ride their bikes
back and forth to the store (8 mile round trip) every few days. A
doctor told me that they gave up their car when it was too dangerous
for them to properly drive it. Eventually the wife passed away and I
think the husband has now passed away but they've given me plenty of
reason to expect that I will ride for as long as I can.

There are a few riders who have completed ultra-cycling events like
Boston-Montreal-Boston or other 1200K brevets at age 75, maybe
older, I don't know.

This reminded me of the time that I rode with a Senior Women's Masters
racer. I lead one of the few winter rides and I pretty much ride all
year long as long as the temperature is above 20F. No one told me she
was a racer. So we went out for a 30 mile ride at 22F. I rode hard and
whe rode with no problems. A week later one of club members told me
that she went on to win a divisional race in Ohio or something. She
was 72 at the time. I thought she was in here 50's. Now I may not be
the fastest rider but I keep a good pace over long distances (30 mi is
not long). But she was much stronger than I! Now that's what I want to
do when I grow up (I'm 42). :-)

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)