Old October 27th 04, 01:42 AM
Blair P. Houghton

Cheto wrote:

"Blair P. Houghton" wrote in message
.. .

See if you can spot the upgrades, courtesy of cut-rate
prices at last weekend's gigundous sale at Tempe Bicycles:

I noticed the pedals and the seat bag, which hopefully contains flat repair
tools. :-)

Cheto

Cheto gets all the prizes to go with his nifty casts.

Yes, the bag contains: a set of no-glue patches which
fit inside the interlocking plastic tire-irons, and a
CO2 inflator with a 16-gram cartridge that should just
explode the tire once I get it back on the rim. I saw
some super-light tubes in the Performance catalog and I
might get one to throw in there too, in case the flatted
tube is unrepairable. And if I can find some lightweight
collapsible shoes, they might fit too, in case the tire
is shredded. So now I can cross the street and still get
home if something happens and the mean people who post
here won't share their patch kit.

Oh, and one I forgot until just now: the bag also contains
a small LED light that happens to clip onto a strap on the
back of the bag. Now I can cross the street after dark.

The pedals are Shimano Ultegra PD-6600's; not too highly
rated over at roadbikereview.com, but I kind of like
them so far, and they were like 60% off. They are very
secure (read: damn hard to clip out of but I got bikie
legs so that's not a real problem, thanks) and have a
big platform. I can't really tell much difference in
pressure distribution between these and my old pedals.
I was able to set the cleats forward enough on my shoes
that I wouldn't need an adapter (I prefer to ride with the
spindle just forward of the center of the ball of my foot,
where apparently most people like it more aft). The only
caveat so far is that they don't just have a float, they
can be downright loose in light pedalling situations.
It's like having a film of ice under your foot. There are
two small rubber pads embedded in the pedal to reduce this,
but in some situations I don't put enough force on them
to create friction.

And they're shiny and have a very low profile, so the chicks
will dig them.

--Blair
"My mom doesn't let me cross the
street after dark."