Old April 13th 18, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Torpedo Duomatic "sudden brake", then heavy to get loose

On 4/13/2018 12:58 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Hello again guys,

today there was a guy with a Torpedo Duomatic
and I recall I've seen his problem before, also
on a Duomatic.

When you brake, instead of getting a modular
effect, at some point the break virtually looks
the wheel - if the bike is upside down, this
happens all but instantly!

After this, the wheel stays like that unless
considerable effort from the crank will get it
loose and one can start pedaling
normally again.

Here is an explosion of the Duomatic
rear hub [1]. It is in German but I suppose the
world of mechanics has a language of its own.
The brake shell is part 11, right?

Anyone knows what to do/replace?

TIA

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/duomatic.png

Bearing is set too loose and/or locknut(s) are not tight.

Adjust bearing to a slight trace of play at the rim. This
is usually done with axle in vise, holding upper end of axle
in one hand and rim in the other.

If hub feels sticky, add oil or open clean and refresh
lubricant.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/