Old June 21st 18, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

Default Helmet News

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 08:17:01 -0400, Duane
wrote:

On 21/06/2018 8:03 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote:

What is the hangup with claiming helmets do
not help? Why isn't it enough just to not
use a helmet oneself and ignore whatever
anyone else is doing?

Why isn't it enough just to use a helmet
oneself and ignore whatever anyone else
is doing?

Personally I don't use a helmet, but isn't that
what happens? Who is ranting about helmet use?
No one here and no one I know. But perhaps in
the road bike and MTB world people do that,
what do I know.

In my experience, the ranting goes on mostly here on RBT. In the real
world people use helmets or don't. I guess the argument is really about
mandatory helmet laws but it becomes a religious discussion here. It's
not that difficult to search past posts...

True, although I did once have another cyclist demand to know why I
wasn't wearing my helmet. It was a cross language thing with him not
speaking much English and me not admitting to speak anything :-)

I smiled and nodded and he did, upon leaving, tell me that "helmets
were much safer" with me smiling and nodding all round the place.

I would also say that I've been in crashes severe enough to break
bones twice i the past 8 or 9 years and in neither case was my head
injured. Laying there with my hip in traction but my head never took a
bump :-)