Old December 30th 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

Default Mapping Distance Rides

Eroick;1160332 wrote:
Hey, I just wrote a little thing on some mapping services'over here'
(http://municycle.ca/teamcanadablog/index.php?blog=8). It covers two
services: MapMyRide and Gmaps Pedometer. Personally I've found these
tools quite useful in the past, expecially in planing qualifying rides
for Ride the Lobster. Do you like to get stats on your distance rides?
If so, what tool(s) do you use?

I use a Garmin eTrex Vista to track all my unicycle rides. It has an old
type receiver which is not that sensitive so I usually have it on top of
my helmet. I'm eyeing a Vista HCx to replace this unit, which I can
probably carry in my backpack or maybe even a fanny pack and still track
good.

At home I load the data onto the PC, then into an Excel spreadsheet. It
does some calculations for me and then plots (in a single plot) versus
date:

- momentaneous max speed (from the trip computer)
- realistic max speed (highest track point speed disregarding
spurious points)
- sustained max speed (highest point of a running median-7 filter)
- cruising speed (complicated calculation, something like the most
common speed in the track file)
- median speed (median value of the tracked speed points)
- moving avg speed (from the trip computer)
- overall avg speed (from the trip computer)

This order is usually from high to low. I judge any development by just
eyeballing this composite plot.

Having the data in Excel gives me full control of plotting and
manipulating, more so than any internet site. E.g. I have a thingie in
there to estimate the time lost at some interference, like a upd or a
closed railroad. I plan to correlate climbing with heart rate, just for
fun. One con, however: there is no integration with a mapping utility
like Google Maps.

--
Klaas Bil