Old September 17th 20, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Air Quality

On 9/17/2020 12:37 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, September 17, 2020 at 10:05:13 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 13:03:37 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

https://aqicn.org/city/usa/oregon/portland/ It varies by the hour. We're
hazardous but trending toward unhealthy. Hmmm. Maybe I'll go for an unhealthy
ride this evening. It may even get to "unhealthy for sensitive groups" around
6:00 -- and then back to hazardous.
-- Jay Beattie.

Thursday morning (9/17/2020), Portland air still looks really bad:
https://www.purpleair.com/map?opt=1/i/mAQI/a10/cC0#9.14/45.4645/-122.6204
The hourly variations in smoke levels seem to be about 2.5 times.
Click on any of the purple dots and you'll get an AQI history graph
for the previous four days.

Satellite photo still shows considerable smoke over most of the left
coast:
https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/conus_band.php?sat=G17&band=GEOCOLOR&length=12

Even Indiana is seeing some smoke:
https://gispub.epa.gov/airnow/

SF Bay coastal area were fairly clear yesterday, but have become worse
today:
https://www.purpleair.com/map?opt=1/i/mAQI/a10/cC0#8.87/37.3508/-122.0335
Calif Sierras are as bad as Portland:
https://www.purpleair.com/map?opt=1/i/mAQI/a10/cC0#6.89/38.138/-120.995

At AQI = 250 or worse, I would think twice about doing any riding.
When we were running AQI = 150, I was coughing a little, had a
continuous mild headache, was regularly clearing my sinuses, and was
using eyedrops to reduce burning eye problems.

Yesterday I took a short ride out to Alameda and back. The air was as good as you could want.

The map of West Coast air quality in my newspaper yesterday
noted that depending on local wind speed and direction some
adjacent areas have marked air quality differences.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/