Old August 11th 03, 11:42 PM
Rick Onanian

Default Riding facing traffic

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 19:12:58 +1000, Bruce G Patrick
wrote:
The number of children I see riding their bicycles on the incorrect side
of the rode, into oncoming traffic frightens me. I am suprised that more
children are not killed or seriously injured partaking in this prractice

My parents love me very much, but out of a skewed sense
of what they thought would be safe, as a child, they told
me to always ride against the traffic.

Their reasoning? I could see the oncoming traffic, and
take appropriate action if necessary.

Well, I did that as a child; but after I started driving,
and then got back into bicycling, I no longer had the
balls to do it. It's scary!!

I don't know how I did it. I used to hit downhill speeds
of 25mph then, and the road I lived on, while rated at
25mph, is usually driven faster; that could easily have
resulted in an effective 75mph crash, when I could
otherwise have avoided a crash entirely by the fact that
I was going traffic speed, or by the fact that I didn't
suprise the hell out of some driver.

Now, I ride safely with the traffic. I can't see the
traffic coming up behind me, so if somebody isn't
paying attention or is drunk or whatever, I'm roadkill.
But somehow, I'm not scared.

I try to ride safer roads, anyhow.

Brutus45

--