Old March 30th 04, 08:40 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Default The joy of spring

Just got back from a mid-day cycle jaunt around the lanes. *Glorious* The sun
is high, the sky is blue - a bit of a headwind, but manageable. Loads of lambs
in the fields, saw my first brimstone butterfly of the year and my first
tortoiseshell butterfly of the year. The primroses and violets are starting to
adorn the hedgerows. Bunnies bouncing about the ditches, pheasants doing their
roadrunner impersonations.

I did 16 miles after work - in shorts and a jersey, white socks, no
gloves or hat, for the first time this year. The first 8 miles were at
an average of 20mph (which includes traffic lights and junctions!). The
last 8 miles were more like 12mph, when I realised I'd been benefiting
from a strong tailwind - and it's *hilly* coming back.

Despite the wind, I managed to frighten the local wildlife by clocking
50.2mph back into the village. The racing bike is *much* faster than
the tourer I've been riding all winter.

Saw lots of cyclists out and about, mostly on road bikes. I knew this
MTB thing was a fad ;-)