Old September 11th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Default What happens if you hang a weight from the bottom of a wheel?

writes:

wrote:
While I was enjoying the current incarnation of the stand-or-hang
thread, I found myself wondering what the spokes and the rim will do
if you stick a wheel up in the air and hang a weight from the rim
section that would normally be the contact patch.

Tension will rise in the vertical spokes and drop in the horizontal.

Carl should have specified more clearly the condition. The wheel is
supported at the hub. The downward force is applied to the bottom of
the rim.

The tension changes in the spokes will be the negative of what they
were with standard loading (for small displacements). Most of the
tension change is in the bottom spokes, which now see an increase.

--
Joe Riel