Old November 8th 14, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Not much needed in a "Be Seen" light

On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 00:13:43 +0000, Phil W Lee
wrote:

Frank Krygowski considered Thu, 06 Nov 2014
23:03:03 -0500 the perfect time to write:

On 11/6/2014 5:23 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:

I wonder how much difference central heating has made?
When I was young, heating was something that you worked to provide.
Therefore you didn't waste heat by heating a house more than was
necessary, and burned quite a few calories just keeping warm.
Now, with central heating being commonplace, people keep their homes
warmer, and that discourages exercise, instead of encouraging it, as a
cooler home did.

Coincidentally, we're just into heating season here. And as has often
been the case, if we're just sitting around early in the heating season,
setting the thermostat to 70 Fahrenheit sometimes leaves us feeling
chilly, even though 70 should be fine.

I felt that way the other day. So I got up and did some pushups. That
heated me right up, and I felt nicely warm the rest of the evening.

Sorta underlines my point.
Of course, not that long ago, more effort was required for normal
household chores, and that kept people warmer, as well as burning
calories.
I strongly suspect that part of becoming used to colder temperatures
is the body adjusting the base metabolic rate to burn more energy just
to keep itself warm, even without the deliberate effort.

See http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...bodcon.html#c1
for a partial answer.

I have also read that shivering is a body function that uses energy.
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...5102015AAh6oxq
estimates that one can burn ~400 calories/hour shivering and breathing
cold air. On the other hand in an environment of 81 degrees F burned
an additional 239 calories a day more than when kept at 71.6 degrees.
It also appears that fat people can withstand colder temperatures than
skinny people.

But apparently the secret is to turn down the thermostat and not add
clothing. If the house is cold enough that you are shivering then you
are burning more calories.

--
Cheers,

John B.