Old January 22nd 15, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Not much needed in a "Be Seen" light

On Thursday, October 23, 2014 at 10:40:59 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
big snip

Why is it unsafe to take the lane on the West Coast? I'm on the West Coast, and I take the lane every day (at least in some places).

I think what you mean to say is that there is no need to take the lane (regardless of region) where there is adequate room for cars to pass safely while riding as far right as practicable. It may also be unsafe to take the lane even when allowed under the law (prevent unsafe passing, preparing for a turn, road hazard, etc.) depending on conditions. You, Frank and the rest of the world will debate when it is really "too" unsafe to lawfully take the lane. Rather than calling someone a gutter bunny, I prefer to see what the conditions are like. OTOH, there are gutter bunnies in the world . . .

-- Jay Beattie.