Old January 23rd 21, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

Default Department of "well, duh!"

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 13:34:28 -0500, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 09:13:13 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I wonder, is the 4H still alive and well? At the time it seemed like a
good idea, teach the girls how to cook and sew and the boys how to
raise beef critters but now I suspect that life on the farm is
somewhat different :-(

My sisters took boy's 4-H, and there were boys in my girl's 4-H club.

I took cooking and sewing. I remember trying to make smaller cookies
while using exactly the same amount of dough. I *think* that I
realized that in order to make them smaller, you have to make them
smaller soon enough to get three more-or-less matching cookies to
exhibit.

(The instructions read that one must measure out exactly the same
amount of dough every single time to make the cookies uniform. I did
not see the contradiction with "these cookies are too big".)

In those days, starting over with a fresh batch of ingredients would
never have occurred to me. Might have occured to a bystander who
wanted more rejected cookies, though.

We were well off by 1940's standards, but waste was a cardinal sin.
I still feel that inanimate objects have rights.

"Waste a cardinal sin"... I remember my folks bought an innerspring
mattress for their bed and I remember how they bragged about it and
told friends how comfortable it was... and stored the old mattress in
the attic "in case we might need it some time"

And as a small child I wore girl's underpants as all my mother's older
sisters had girl children and "one didn't throw good clothes away just
because they were outgrown". You passed them on to "someone that needs
them".

But I will admit that my wife of 49 years still has clothes that she
probably couldn't get into if her life depended on it and when I say
something like, "If it doesn't fit Throw it Away!" she says something
like. "But, it's still good" and hides it away in the closet :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.