Old August 12th 09, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

Default Glueless Tire Patches

On Aug 12, 12:06*am, wrote:
Paul wrote:
On Aug 10, 11:57*pm, wrote:
* *I happened to be in a K-Mart store yesterday, and decided I'd see
what sort of bike stuff they had. *The thing I noticed was a patch kit
that features patches that don't require cement/glue.
* *Anyone here have any experience with these patches? *Maybe I just
have a suspicious nature, but they sound just a tad too good to be true.

Last month I went through four tubes in one day that I had patched
last winter. *Three were patched with glue less "Slime" and the fourth
was a different company, the name of which I cannot recall but they
were square instead of the round Slime ones. *The first held long
enough to get the wheel back on the bike. *The second held until the
next morning when it was flat, the third sprung a leak at about 95
psi, and the fourth held. *I practiced good patching technique. *I
suppose I should not use these and just go with new tubes. *In short,
I don't trust them anymore.

* *So, Landotter doesn't like glueless, you don't like them, and have
bad experience to back you up, and Sheldon Brown also thinks they're
junk. *I'd call that the proverbial Three Strikes.
* *No wonder K-Mart is the only place I've ever seen those things.

I tested the "Slime" ones as I saw 'em for cheap. I went through the
whole packet. None held air. Traditional patches like Park and Rema
take an extra few seconds for the glue to flash, big whoop.