Old May 26th 11, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default Cyclist casualties up 9% in London.

On May 26, 5:51*am, Doug wrote:

So what are you suggesting here, that its OK to exceed speed limits as
long as its not by very much? I know there is some latitude because of
speedometer inaccuracies but it doesn't make it OK in principle. What
about places where locals want speed limits to be lowered anyway,
particularly past schools?

Doug.

The locals are very much in favour of 20mph limits outside schools
*when* they are walking their kids around.
However, when they get behind the wheel, they totally ignore the limit
and the worst culprits are the teachers and parents themselves IME.
As you can see in my commute video, I am riding at 20mph past these
schools when some inconsiderate knob comes hurtling past at 30mph +
totally ignoring the risk they are putting people in. If there are no
humps to police 20mph zones then most drivers will simply ignore the
limit as I pointed out in our local rag.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/letter.jpg

--
Simon Mason