Old May 26th 11, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
webreader

Default Cyclist casualties up 9% in London.

On May 26, 5:51*am, Doug wrote:
On May 25, 9:29*am, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote: On 25/05/2011 07:17, Doug wrote:

Well we know from past surveys that a majority of motorists knowingly
exceed speed limits,...

When the Road Research Laboratory did an extensive study of speed
limits, their conclusion was that the purpose of speed limits should not
be seen as being to keep traffic at or below the set limit.

Source? Link? I would like to verify your claim.

Rather, they
should be seen as a way to avoid large differentials in traffic speed
and as a way to reduce significantly the number of vehicles that grossly
exceed the set limit. Their suggestions of what constituted 'grossly
exceeding' the limit quite closely match the ACPO recommendations on the
point at which prosecution would be appropriate.

So what are you suggesting here, that its OK to exceed speed limits as
long as its not by very much? I know there is some latitude because of
speedometer inaccuracies but it doesn't make it OK in principle. What
about places where locals want speed limits to be lowered anyway,
particularly past schools?

Doug.

A bit like 250w only being a bit over 200w then.