Old November 1st 17, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Why do some forks and frames have brake rotor size limits?

On 2017-10-29 17:09, Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

It doesn't pay to be timid. Man up.

Why take the risk when there are alternatives such as this?

https://goo.gl/maps/XJk1gMRC2eA2

A bike lane plus segregated bike path plus bicycle bridge, all
seamlessly connecting to the Folsom bike path system and the
American River bike trail. Plus a lot of parks. That area is a
cyclists paradise. During rush hour it gets quite busy.

So what you're saying is that the percentage of bicyclists deaths can
be changed from nearly nothing to nothing?

It isn't nothing. About one a month in our local paper. However, again,
this is not only about deaths but also serious injury. I personally knew
people who have had that happen, usually by being hit from behind. One
woman wasn't able to ride for years because she ended up underneath a
Ford F-150. Later she never regained her old performance level because
some stuff didn't heal.

I'm certainly not saying that injuries aren't serious. Apparently the pain I presently have in my right arm was caused by that crash I had in July. It didn't bother me until maybe a month ago. Now I have to go through physical therapy to try and quell the pain in my shoulder from a torn ligament.

These sorts of things will always be around. The safest you can ever hope to be is 100 times less safe than you would like to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdWsSB9QGkY

It is somewhat strange to me that no one seems to know why brakes react the way they do. "disk brakes have more modulation". Well that's because a rim brake has more leverage. There is a wider distance between application of the disk brake and the full lock position. I don't have any trouble with brake cables or quick releases making noises.

Looking at the available disk brake videos I have questions as to the techniques they used to make these tests which showed good rim brakes measurably less effective than disks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdWsSB9QGkY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHFSSXOSnxs

I was incorrect about increased drag from disks: the difference was too slight to mention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXQuSnKkS-I

My personal experiece with disk brakes is not particularly good. On the heavy Trek HiFi they were very good. On my Redline Cyclocross bike they are all hell and gone too powerful. I installed these when the Shimano cantilever brakes on my Ridley couldn't stop a caterpillar in full flight.

Later I installed TRP 9.0 V-brakes on the Ridley and even though the Ridley is a lot heavier than the Redline, the braking was much more predictable and powerful.