Old July 24th 03, 05:15 PM
Roger Ehrlich - CSCI/F1998

Default Suntour rear cogs cassette removal problem

I'm trying to remove my rear cogs - Older Suntour® two notched- FR-2, I
have this tool. as per instructions on
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQcogs.shtml
*
I can't for the life of me get this cassette off the hub. I'm using 75
ft-lbs of torque, and it still won't budge. There is no lockring, but
there is something more than the illustrations on the page shows. If I
look into the 2 notches there are 2 metal notches that seem to be from a
washer inside the hub, but right now they are not in a position to block
the freewheel from coming off, (ie: they are not againstthe notch wall).
I have also used WD40 & Liquid Wrench and there does not appear to
be any rust either. Any suggestions?

The cog cassette itself appears to be a 2 piece unit. Gears 9-12 - 2
smallest cogs is 1st piece, gears 1-8 on 4 cogs is the 2nd unit. It's
possible that the cogs for gears 1-8 are seperate pieces. I've cleaned the
cassette w/ varsol but cannot really tell unless I remove it. There is a
washer seperating these 2 pieces. However it appears that the Suntour
fastener that I use the FR-2 tool for afixes the entire cassette on the hub.
So I don't think I need chainwhip tools. There also appears to be NO
lockring on the cassette.

Thanks for your help, Roger