Old January 17th 18, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default combination spanners with different inclinations

On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 9:55:32 PM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 03:51:14 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

For such contortions, I recommend an open end
crowfoot wrench:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=open+end+crowfoot+wrench

Yuk! Looks awful!

Well, I could probably find one that's nickel plated. Would that look
less awful?

I hope I never have to
get/use that! Never saw one either so they
cannot be that common.

Quite common among those who want a very compact tool box. All you
need is a ratchet wrench or breaker bar, a small collection of
crowfoot wrench ends, and you have something that will work at almost
any angle without adding extra pounds to your tool kit in duplicated
"handles". They're available in thin wrenches, which are more
suitable for bicycle work, like this Park's pedal wrench:
https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Pedal-Wrench-Crow/dp/B00JXNZMMQ

But in the old days, nobody cared about torque values, and collecting giant wrenches was a right of passage. If you had little crowfoot wrenches, you'd get pantsed by the cool kids.

For working on modern bikes, the open-end wrench has gone the way of the dodo. I currently use my old Campagnolo pedal wrench for self defense, although for maximum intimidation, I use my headset press. Spinning the handle hypnotizes my enemies!

I was thinking of stringing up all my old headset, BB and pedal wrenches to make a wind chime, but I'd probably need a noise permit.

BTW, I was perfectly happy with my old open-ended pedal wrench and just guessing at torque. I hate the modern allen pedals and wrenches. Totally inconvenient! It's like putting the zipper-pull for your fly on the inside of your pants. Stupid! Looser!

-- Jay Beattie.