Old September 6th 05, 09:15 AM
Peter Clinch

Default A Sustrans dilemma

tom wrote:

Well it's great to see such massive support for a primarily cycling
oriented sustainable transport charity.

I am very happy that such a remit has general support from the UK
public. I am a lot less happy that they have routes where my ability to
cycle is reduced compared to taking the roads. Rather destroys a lot of
the point.

Perhaps what might make a better debate is whether this country should
ever have been in such a state that it required a charity, staffed with
many volunteers, to maintain a public transport infrastructure.

It might make a better debate, but compared to actually resolving the
problems of Sustrans paths it's a lot less likely to get anywhere
productive. Removing "Cyclists Dismount" signs and their associated
access gates with an encore of realising that paranoid road avoidance
isn't /always/ either helpful or even a safety improvement is a bit
easier than turning back time and changing the country's entire
transport culture.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK