Old February 6th 20, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Bridge lane

On 2020-02-03 14:19, Tom Kunich wrote:

[...]

There are only two bridges left without protected bike lanes now.
The San Mateo Bridge and the Carquinez Straits bridge.

I've never seen a cyclist on the Carquinez Bridge. That sounds like
a suicide mission to me, like this section on I-5:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bike/2...ream/lightbox/

Have you tried cycling the Carquinez Bridge?

That is a scary bridge, but that's the wrong bridge. Carquinez
Bridge is across the Carquinez Straights in the north Bay.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carquinez_Bridge

That is the Carquinez bridge I meant. AFAIK you'd have to be on the
freeway and, worse, in a lane to cycle that. Death waiting to happen.

Google is your friend, or at least in this case, Joerg.
[Carquinez Bridge bike] gets you this right away:

https://baytrail.org/get-on-the-trail/bridges/

"Carquinez Bridge

There is a two-way twelve foot bicycle and pedestrian path on the west
side of the western (westbound) span. The distance is .6 miles."

https://baytrail.org/wp-content/uplo...576-300dpi.jpg

If you don't know, now you know.

Indeed, the new part seems to have a side path:

https://goo.gl/maps/kwvCJzbRsAcpDqQJ7

I never saw that, maybe because there was never anybody on it. Who
knows, some day it may be possible to safely cycle from Sacramento to
the Bay Area.

So, Tom, you could cross that one off your list without pretected bike
lanes :-)

The old one didn't have that AFAIR.

--
Regards, Joerg