Old July 14th 19, 05:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Four-way stops

I was in a discussion once that included a guy who couldn't wrap his
head around the notion of four-way stops. No matter how we explained
it, he replied, "But nobody can ever go because everybody else has to
go first!"

Says here in my notes (I'm at the bottom of the pile stick-pinned to
my monitor stand, and will soon start on the pile picked up off the
floor, then the ones that fell behind the other montor stand)

(Just held the two remaining slips up to the light: hoo, do they ever
have a lot of pinholes! I kept adding the new slip that I intended to
transcribe this very evening to the top of the pile. I would also
unpin it, read it, and put it back.)

It says in my notes that during a ride on Saturday, 25 May 2019, I
thought of a way to explain stop signs that had a chance of getting
through to him.

I'll never find that discussion again. I don't even know that it was
somewhere on Usenet, but none of my Web forums allow discussion as
opposed to one or two rounds of post-and-response, except for the
forum maintained by the author of "How to make Sewing Patterns", and
that one sticks quite firmly to the topic. We don't even discuss ways
of altering ready-made patterns.

So I'll post to the choir here.

And it's very simple:

At *every* stop sign, you stop and wait until it's your turn.

That's it. You wait until it's your turn.

At the intersection of a minor road and a major one, The person on the
minor road has his turn when nobody on the major road wants the
intersection.

At the intersection of two equal roads, where everybody has a stop
sign, it's your turn when all the vehicles that were there when you
arrived are gone.

When you aren't sure which vehicle arrived first, it's the turn of the
fellow who has the other guy on his left -- that is, yield to the guy
on your right. (I presume, with no evidence, that it's the other way
around where people drive on the left.)

When traffic is backed up, it's the turn of the vehicle to the right
of the vehicle that had the previous turn.

By the general rule that it's your turn when nobody else wants the bit
of road that you want to use, if you and the guy facing you both want
to go straight, when the turn comes to either, both may go.

Likewise, you may turn right after verifying that nobody is coming
from your left, and that nobody facing you wants to turn left.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net