Old August 27th 19, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default The Uncanny Valley: was: AG: Hoe Lee Cow!

On 8/24/2019 11:34 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Sat, 01 Jun 2019 23:36:54 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

[snip]

. . . -- on Pierceton
Road, I get tired of being alert, so I cut over on 250 E to Wooster or
go south to Wilcox. Perhaps that is what he means by "fitness and
speed".

Pierceton road is in the sour spot of traffic. On a busy road, there
is always a car behind you, and you continuously deal with it. On a
back road, you can relax until you hear a motor a mile away getting
gradually louder. On Pierceton, it's * signal that I've seen him, get
over to let him by, resume normal riding for up to a minute, repeat
from *. It's exhausting.

And no, I can't just mope along in the "please pass me" lane; that
leaves me no way to notifiy the overtaking driver that I'm aware of
him. And if he doesn't see that I've gotten over just for him, he'll
think I'm a stationary object.

In continuous traffic, each driver can see that the previous vehicle
has moved over, and knows that overtaking is being done.

Yes, motorists play "follow the leader."

I generally default to a lane centered riding position. I ride at the
right if the lane is wide enough for safe passing, but only a small
percentage are. In lanes that are sort of in between width - say, wide
enough to share if the motorist passes slowly - it's common for me to
"release" once my mirror shows they've slowed.

But I've noticed that motorists do tend to play "follow the leader." If
the first passing motorist changes lanes, following ones do as well,
apparently thinking "Oh, _that's_ what I'm supposed to do!" But if a
motorist passes too closely, following motorists tend to do so as well.
Unless, that is, I control the situation by moving further left.

--
- Frank Krygowski